14) St Owens Gate
One of the city’s five city gates, built c1190, stood here.
St Owens Gate was one of the busiest trade routes into the city as it was eastern route out of the city and the main road to Gloucester. The gate stood across St Owen Street between number 67 & 69 either side of the street. A blocked up window set in the wall of 67, on the corner of Gaol Street, almost certainly formed part of the gate house.
The Gate was demolished in 1784 along with the other city gates.
Return to Parish history Map
Return to Home page